.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Stoney Larue

The other night I was able to hear Stoney Larue playing over at Big Texas in Spring.

I was not really familiar with his music but had heard good things about him so I decided to check out the concert. Stoney has been getting some good press as one of the leading members of the "Red Dirt Music" scene. For more information on "Red Dirt Music" see here and here.

Stoney played an intriguing set of original songs interspersed with a few well chosen covers. Samples of Stoney's original songs from his "Red Dirt" cd can be found here.

His cover songs, however, were the highlights of the show for me. A few well-done cover songs that I can remember were: Emmylou Harris' "Bluebird Wine" (also recorded by Rodney Crowell), Ray Charles' and Willie Nelson's "Seven Spanish Angels" and Bob Dylan's "Forever Young".

All in all it was a pretty enjoyable show. The band was very good as well featuring some excellent guitar playing.

This is another artist in the Texas Music scene that is worth looking into.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home