.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Tavener on the Radio

The other day at work I was listening to KUHF, Houston's Classical Music/NPR radio station. They don't normally play a lot of a cappella choral music during the day but that day someone put on one of my favorite pieces by the British composer John Tavener.

The piece they played was his "Song for Athene" which gained a worldwide audience when it was performed at the Funeral Service for Princess Diana. The piece was actually not written for Princess Diana and was an earlier work of Tavener's composed after the death of a family friend.

The performance the played was from my favorite recording of the work. It is a difficult cd to find at least on this side of the pond. The details are here. The famous live recording of the piece can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home