.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Shake Russell at the Mucky Duck

Last night I was able to hear Shake Russell in concert at the Mucky Duck. I had gone to his last show at the Duck back in December. That was the first time I had ever heard him perform and his show blew me away.

It must have had the same effect on everyone else because last night's show was standing room only. They were standing two and three deep at the bar at times. Luckily I got one of the last seats at the bar.

As an added surprise Shake had his friend Michael Hearne, from Taos, New Mexico open the show with an extended set. This was the first time I had ever heard of Michael and his music also blew me away. You can check out some of his music here. Michael even sang "White Freightliner Blues" one of my all time favorite songs by the late great Townes Van Zandt. For more on Townes check out this page.

After the great opening set by Michael, Shake and his band took the stage. The concert that night was actually a cd release party for his newest effort Love is Why. The cd was literally released that afternoon and offered for sale for the first time at the show. It is a great cd and you can order it through Shake's webpage here.

Shake and his band put on a great show of over three hours. They performed several songs from the new cd along with several of his older classics. The place was packed with both long time fans and new listeners. As always Shake and his band were gracious enough to hang around after the show to sign cds and visit with the audience.

I'll definitely be looking forward to his next appearances in Houston. His shows are always great fun so you shouldn't miss them. You can check out his touring schedule here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home