.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Down at the Duck



Yes, I know, this is getting to be a regular feature of my blog.

Last night I ventured down to the Mucky Duck to hear one of the legends of the local Texas music scene. Shake Russell has been performing in Houston clubs for as long as I can remember.

I have to admit that I am a bit too young to have experienced his hugely popular shows "back in the day". In the early 80's it seemed like the Shake Russell Band was headlining almost every weekend at such legendary Houston area venues as Anderson Fair, Fitzgerald's, and Rockefeller's.

It has been written that "Russell's songs bring up the images of driving down a narrow country road, carving it's way through a calm countryside into the heart of the Texas Hill Country."

In songs like "Will a Blue Bonnet grow in Tennessee", "I'm Just Smiling Like Austin Does", "River of Innocence", and the crowd favorite "Travelin' Texas" one can certainly sense the influence that the landscapes of Texas have had on his music. In fact "Travelin' Texas" was written for the local television program "The Eyes of Texas" in honor of the Texas Sesquicentennial.

Shake Russell's music has also been influential for many other musicians. His songs have been recorded by such artists as Clint Black, Waylon Jennings (Deep in the West) and Ricky Skaggs.

You can sample some of his music here and purchase his cds here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home