.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Down at the Duck



Last Sunday night I had the pleasure of hearing Brennen Leigh perform in concert down at the Mucky Duck. Brennan Leigh was accompanied by her brother Seth Hulbert. The siblings hail from the Fargo, North Dakota area but moved to the Lone Star State a few years ago to become a part of the Texas music scene.


Brennen Leigh's music draws from both the bluegrass and country music traditions. She has been described as sounding "like a young Tanya Tucker channeling the ghost of Hank Williams".


You can hear for yourself on samples from her debut cd here. She also has a second cd that can be sampled here.


I decided I had better not miss them this time around after reading about some of their earlier performances here. Brennan Leigh and Seth gave a great performance. They have the ability to play music and harmonize together seamlessly as only siblings can. Their show was a lot of fun and they even took requests...Apparently they are fans of Lefty Frizzell's music. Their set list was seemingly inexhaustible as well. In fact I had to leave nearly two hours into the show and they still had not taken their first break!


They are a definitely a "don't miss" show for any future engagements in Houston.


The Mucky Duck has been offering some really good concerts of late. You can check out what is on tap for the rest of this month here as well as upcoming concerts both here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home