.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Saturday, November 29, 2008

still here

So I'm still here. I haven't posted much for awhile. I've been recovering from a minor surgery and my job has kept me very busy lately. I did manage to make it to a few shows earlier this month before my surgery.

First up was The Red Elvises (your favorite band!) at the Mucky Duck. They are a Russian-American band, based in Santa Monica, who always put on an energetic and entertaining show. Here's a clip of the band playing "Ticket to Japan" in San Francisco featuring the lovely and talented Elena Shemankova:



The next show was Rodney Crowell at the Mucky Duck. Rodney played two nights at the Duck. I caught the first night's performance. Rodney was joined on stage by Jenny Scheinman and Jedd Hughes. This was easily one of the best shows I've seen all year. So many great songs and such a high level of musicianship on display! It was also nice to see such a good turnout (both shows were sold-out). Rodney grew up in Houston and there were many in attendance from the neighborhoods where he used to live. Here's a clip of the "Houston Kid" reminiscing on his childhood and performing "The Rock of My Soul":



Here's a recent clip of Rodney performing "Moving Work of Art" with Will Kimbrough and Jenny Scheinman:



Here is a video of Jedd Hughes performing his song "Big Blue Sky":



...and here are two clips of Jenny Scheinman peforming her songs "Newspaper Angels" and "Run, Run, Run" with Will Kimbrough:





Finally, for something a little different, I went to the Chanticleer concert at Stude Concert Hall at Rice University. Chanticleer (based in San Francisco) is considered by many to be the world's leading male chorus. It was a great performance with some particuliarly fine singing from the altos and counter-tenors. Here is a clip of Chanticleer performing the traditional Irish folk song "Dulaman" in an arrangement by Michael McGlynn:



Here is an excerpt from the group's newest dvd Mission Road featuring performances filmed at several historic California Missions:



Finally, here is a video of Chanticleer performing a setting of "Ave Maria" by composer Franz Biebl:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home