.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Shows

I haven't been to as many concerts lately thanks to Hurricane Ike and its aftermath. I had tickets to the Nanci Griffith/Guy Clark concert and the Robert Plant & Alison Krauss show...both of which were canceled. I was disappointed that the Plant/Krauss show was canceled...but after seeing the damage to the Woodlands Pavilion I can understand why. The roof was almost completely destroyed.

I also had to miss the Kelly Joe Phelps concert at Anderson Fair as I was busy preparing for the approaching hurricane.

One show I managed to make prior to Ike was Teribus (a pipe and drum band) at the Mucky Duck.

Here's a video from that show:





The other "pre-Ike" show I made was Brennen Leigh and Shotgun Party also at the Mucky Duck. Really fun show with two great bands. Here's a video of Brennen singing "Waitin' Out the Rain" which seems appropriate:




Here is a clip of Shotgun Party doing two of their songs at Sam's in San Antonio:




The first show I was able to see after the hurricane featured a performance by the Duck's own Liz Dannemiller. It was a great show and offered some much needed entertainment as I was still without power at home. Here is a clip of Liz performing at Boheme Cafe:





On Wednesday I was able to see the Drive-By Truckers in concert at the Meridian. I was also able to see singer Patterson Hood and drummer Brad Morgan play an in-store performance at Cactus Music. The show at the Meridian was one of the hardest rockin' shows I have ever heard. It took hours for my hearing to fully recover...as I was standing in the first row right next to the speakers. An enthusiastic review of the concert from the Houston Press can be found here (in which the back of my head appears in one of the accompanying photos). Here's a clip of the Truckers ripping through "Look Out Mountain" which gives a good idea of their powerful sound:



Finally, I saw Spiritualized last night at the Meridian. Another great show! Really interesting band with a unique sound and meaningful lyrics. Here is a video of them performing "Shine a Light":

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home