.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Jole Blon




Lately I keep coming across references to the Cajun song "Jole Blon".

It seems like nearly every time that I go out to see a live-show or put on a new cd there is either a version of "Jole Blon" performed or there is a reference made to it in one of the songs.

I know next to nothing about this song...other than it is evidently VERY popular in these parts. So I decided to do some research and this is what I found.

The song was originally written by Harry H. Choates who seems to have been quite a character. Kind of a Cajun version of Hank Williams I guess.

He is the guy who put the "Aieee" into Cajun music.

The song was instantly popular and has since been recorded by many different artists.

Recently I have run across this song or references to it while listening to the music of: Shake Russell, The Sidehill Gougers and Townes Van Zandt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home