.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

United 93

I saw United 93 the other night and would highly recommend this film.

It is one of the most emotionally powerful and intense films that I have ever seen.

It is also, technically speaking, a nearly flawless piece of filmmaking.

I was hesitant at first to see it because I was afraid that it was indeed too soon for such a movie, or that somehow it might exploit the memory of those lost on 9/11.

Fortunately my fears were unfounded.

Sure there are moments in the film where the raw emotions of anger, fear and sadness are overwhelming. It is also almost impossible not to shed tears in several scenes.

Still my overwhelming response was one of pride and amazement at the heroic actions of both the doomed passengers as well as the FAA and military personnel on the ground.

This film is getting almost universally positive reviews and deservedly so.

There have been a few negative reviews which honestly I don't get. I can understand that some people will simply not want to see any movie dealing with the events of 9/11 and I can respect that. To give this particular film a bad review, however, seems unfair. While there are certainly some areas where I can see some people being critical these are relatively minor. I think director Paul Greengrass did a remarkable job in making this film.

Another amazing fact about this film is that some of the FAA and military personnel on duty that day actually play themselves in the film!

I have a very hard time imagining a film that could portray this subject matter any more respectfully. Undoubtedly there will be more 9/11 films and some of them will be a lot worse than this one. Somehow I doubt that Oliver Stone and Nicholas Cage are going to be able to match the dignity, neutrality and artistic quality of United 93.

Overall this is one of the most powerful and important films that I have ever seen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I fear what Oliver Stone will do ... I had a lot of trouble getting up the nerve to see this very good and very powerful, but I'm glad i did because it is a powerful reminder of why we fight

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home