.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Monday, March 19, 2007

St. Patrick's Day



This year I observed the Feast of St. Patrick (according to the Gregorian Calendar) by attending the festivities held at the Mucky Duck.

On the serious side...Saint Patrick is one of the best known Western Saints whose life and works are worthy reads.


and on the lighter side...

The celebrations this year began at noon and I arrived not long after to find the Duck packed with hundreds of people. The parking lot had also been converted into a giant festival tent complete with a couple of bars and a main stage. There were two acts going on simultaneously throughout the day on both the inside and outside stages.

The performers included: Clandestine, The Rogues, The O'Maoileidigh Irish Dancers, Wyndnwyre, The Celtic Gypsies, E.J. Jones, Martin Burniston, the Irish Session Players, Jim Mackenzie and Marybeth McQueen.

I managed to catch at least one set by each of the performers and everyone put on a great show.

As expected, there was plenty of Guinness to be had. I subscribe to the "liquid bread" theory as to whether beer should be consumed during Lent...I mean who am I to argue with centuries of monastic tradition. : )

I was even handed a complimentary Guinness by an actual "Guinness Girl"...a lovely creature who, up to that point, I believed only existed in myths!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home