.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Monday, March 05, 2007

Ray Wylie Hubbard


I was able to catch Ray Wylie Hubbard in concert at his second show at the Mucky Duck on Saturday night.

This was the first time that I had seen him perform. I had originally become interested in his music through Hayes Carll's frequent praise for Ray at Hayes' shows. After hearing Ray in concert I can now hear some similarities between his music and Hayes.

To me Ray's music seems heavily influenced by the Blues tradition. His music often has a very dark yet soulful and rhythmic quality to it. It also reminds me of the swamp rock genre in some ways.

Ray played a great set on both acoustic and steel guitar. He was backed by only a percussionist and was joined for a few songs by his young son Lucas on lead guitar....and that kid can really play! Lucas laid down one of the hottest solos I have heard at the Duck in some time.

Ray played a generous set of songs from throughout his long career that included: "Snake Farm", "Kilowatts", "Mother Hubbard's Blues", "Rabbit", "Polecat", "Dust of the Chase", "Cooler than Hell", "Name Droppin'", "Up Against the Wall/Redneck Mother" (yup...he wrote that one), "Mississippi Flush", "Night Time", "Ballad of the Crimson Kings", "Conversation with the Devil", "The Messenger" and "Choctaw Bingo".

More info on Ray Wylie Hubbard can be found here.

You can sample some of his music here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home