.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Friday, February 23, 2007

Eric Taylor



Last Saturday night I saw Eric Taylor in concert over at Anderson Fair.

I almost did not see him perform because the show was a near sell-out. He has quite a large following as this article demonstrates. I was very fortunate to secure one of the handful of remaining seats. Many Thanks to the gentleman who invited me to sit at one of the front row tables.

This was the first time I had ever seen Eric Taylor perform. It was also, hands down, one of the finest concerts I have ever heard.

In short, Eric Taylor is a genius. His music has influenced many other artists such as Lyle Lovett, Nanci Griffith and Steve Earle. His lyrics are intensely poetic and command your attention. His singing and stage presence are simply spellbinding. In my opinion he ranks as one of America's greatest living songwriters.


At Anderson Fair he played a mesmerizing set including: "Brand New Companion", "Dirty Dirty", "Where I Lead Me", "Big Love", "Whorehouse Mirrors and Pawnshop Knives", "Manhattan Mandolin Blues", and "Mission Door". He was joined on a few songs by Susan Lindfors who provided some very nice harmony singing.

Of particular interest was his remembrances of Townes Van Zandt and the performances of a few of his songs.


Do not miss an opportunity to hear Eric Taylor in concert.

As Nanci Griffith has remarked: "If you miss an opportunity to hear Eric Taylor, you have missed a chance to hear a voice I consider the William Faulkner of songwriting in our current time."


You can sample some of Eric Taylor's music here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home