.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Monday, November 13, 2006

Alejandro Escovedo

Last Saturday night I heard Alejandro Escovedo in concert over at the Mucky Duck.

I was able to make it by for his second show of the night.

Alejandro brought along guitarist David Polkingham to accompany him for the Houston shows.

This was the first time I had seen Alejandro in concert. I had not been very familiar with his music but knew he has quite a following here in Texas.

I had heard a bit more about him in the past few years due to his prolonged illness. He has now recovered and is back to making music. Recently I also saw him featured on an episode of Austin City Limits and decided to check out a concert the next time he came through town.

For the late show Alejandro was masterfully accompanied by David Polkingham (one of the finest guitarists I have ever heard) on a selection of songs from throughout his career.

He started off with a number of songs from his most recent cd including: "Arizona", "Dear Head on the Wall", and "Evita's Lullaby".

Alejandro then announced that he did not have a set list and began taking requests from the audience.

There was no shortage of requested titles. Some of the songs he performed included: "Rosalie" (a love song based on a beautiful and true story), "Wave", "Wedding Day", "I was Drunk", "Castanets" (an apparent favorite of President Bush!) and "Sad and Dreamy" (aka "The Big 1-0" a wonderfully enchanting song written by some South Austin elementary school students as part of a songwriting project led by Alejandro and Michael Fracasso).

Alejandro ended the show by going out into the audience with David for a few songs. They would stop at a different table and play a song in a kind of roving troubador or mariachi style. As luck would have it he stopped at the table I was sitting at for the final song of the night. He ended with a gentle rendition of Townes Van Zandt's "Tower Song".

It was a great ending to a great show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home