.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Friday, February 17, 2006

Down at the Duck

Great show down at the Duck last night.

Brennen Leigh opened for the Sidehill Gougers.

I have to admit up front that I came down just to hear Brennen Leigh and had not heard of the Sidehill Gougers before. Lucky for me that I caught their show because now they are one of my favorite bands.

I caught Brennen Leigh's last show at the Duck a few months ago. They were just as good this time around though the normally reliable sound system at the Duck had a few issues during their set. They played some of the songs from their first two cds including: "The Legend of Benny Ambrose", "I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome" (an old Bill Monroe song), "Shine like silver", "Single Girl", "Let Him Go On Mama", "Jeremiah Johnson" and "Angel's Ferry".

Their set was great as always. I know there were a number of people there that night who had never heard of her before and were very impressed by their set. I picked up their second cd "Too Thin to Plow" which you can buy here. Don't just take my word for it. You can check out what others in town have said here. Brennen said that they have a new cd which should be released in the next month or two. So check back at www.brennenleigh.com for updates.

The Sidehill Gougers were a great discovery. They opened up their first set by playing Townes Van Zandt's "White Freightliner Blues". That is the song that turned me on to Towne's music and has always been one of my favorites. So they got off to a great start in my book. They opened their second set with Jamie Wilson singing a solo version of "Red Dirt Girl" by Emmylou Harris. That is also one of my favorite songs.

Their set was made up of a good mix of original songs and covers of some great country tunes. Two of the highlights were "Love Hurts" by Gram Parsons, and "Oh, Atlanta" a song made famous by Allison Krauss. The impressive duo of Jamie Wilson (think Natalie Merchant-like voice fronting a country band) and Shane Walker led the rest of the band in a fun-filled and very entertaining show.

It was refreshing to see a group that clearly just loves the music. Their style is a very down-home, back porch, music-making among friends approach. Someone wrote about them that: "It is truly the best band you have never heard of ". I don't think they will have that problem much longer. Check them out yourself you can buy their cd here.

Both Brennen Leigh and the Sidehill Gougers included some southern gospel influenced songs in their sets.

One pleasant surprise was the amount of younger people at the concert. Both bands are made up mostly of twenty-somethings. The audience seemed to have a number of other twenty-somethings who knew some of the older songs pretty well. I had not realized that the younger crowd had much interest in the old country styles.

There is hope for us all yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home