.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Friday, September 09, 2005

Meeting of the Vladimir Icon of the Theotokos







Today, on the Church Calendar, is also the Feast of the Meeting of the Vladimir Icon of the Theotokos. The tradition of the Church holds that this icon was painted by St. Luke while the Theotokos was still alive. It has a long history and has been pivotal in the history of Russia. This particular Feast Day of the Icon commemorates its transfer from the city of Vladimir to Moscow. When the Icon was transferred the Khan Tamerlane was advancing with his army on the city of Moscow. Through the aid of the Theotokos the Khan and his army were frightened and retreated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home