.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sidehill Gougers at Anderson Fair

Last night I was able to catch the Sidehill Gougers playing over at Anderson Fair.

I had missed their last few shows in town so I was hoping that I would be able to make this one.

Larry Hooper, who I had not heard before, played a nice opening set. You can check out some of Hooper's music here.

The Gougers then took the stage minus a fiddle player and with the addition of a brand new drummer. They played a lot, if not all, of the songs from their new cd Gone to Seed. They also played most of the songs from their first cd.

Really every song was great but some of the highlights were: "John Henry", "Rosaline", "It'll Get Better", "Ballad of the Mexican Guardrail" (yes there is an amusing story to this one), "Michael"(in a superb solo rendition by Jamie), "Manheim Station", and "Careful what you wish for".

There were also some nice covers including Emmylou Harris' "Boulder to Birmingham", Townes Van Zandt's "Don't You Take it Too Bad" and Gram Parson's "Return of the Grievous Angel". They even snuck in a Hayes Carll song.

Another great show from the Sidehill Gougers. Check out their cds and be sure to go see them in concert.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home