.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Friday, April 21, 2006

Merck Loses again in Texas

A Texas jury has ruled against Merck once again in the most recent Vioxx trial.

The jury awarded $32 million in damages to the family of a man who suffered a fatal heart attack after taking Vioxx.

This article from Bloomberg has the details.

The case was tried in Rio Grande City in Starr County in South Texas. This area is notorious for being very "plaintiffs friendly" so this verdict should not come as much of a surprise.

In fact this region recently topped the list of "Judicial Hellholes" in America.

The damages amount will likely be reduced due to Texas law which limits punitive damages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home