.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Welcome to (Judicial) Hell

The American Tort Reform Association has released its 2005 rankings of "Judicial Hellholes".

You can read their complete report here.

Much to my surprise I discovered that the #1 rated Judicial Hellhole of 2005 was: "Rio Grande Valley and Gulf Coast, Texas". Specifically they singled out Jefferson, Brazoria, Cameron, Hidalgo, Nueces and Starr counties.

It seems somewhat amazing that Texas would be rated #1 after significant tort reform legislation went into effect earlier this year. But as the report states:

"...even where legislative reform has been successful, such as in Texas, judges can still misapply the law and make procedural rulings that favor local plaintiffs' lawyers and their clients and their clients over out-of state defendants."

Well I noticed that the American Tort Reform Association is headquartered in Washington DC. So I guess they should know a "hellhole" when they see one.

Don't mess with Texas.

: )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home