.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Sitka Icon Pilgrimage


Photos from www.oca.org
Last weekend I traveled to Dallas to venerate the Sitka Icon of the Theotokos while it was at Saint Seraphim's Cathedral.
I was present on Saturday evening for the planned Vigil. There was some difficulty getting the icon through airport security and it was late in arriving. So it ended up that Great Vespers was served, followed by a talk on the history of the Sitka icon and the history of the Orthodox Church in Alaska by Father Michael Oleksa, and then concluding with the Akathist for the Sitka icon and an anointing with oil from the shrine lamp of the icon. A cd recording of the Akathist sung by the Clergy of the Diocese of Alaska can be ordered here.
The icon itself is rather large and quite beautiful. It was very encouraging to see the large turnout and to see Orthodox faithful and Clergy from many different jurisdictions in attendance.
On Sunday morning I was also able to attend Divine Liturgy at Saint Nicholas parish in Dallas. Many thanks to Vasyl for chauffeuring me around and for the early "Winter Welcome".
: )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home