.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Houston's Best Music Store



The other day I was in the neighborhood and decided to drop by one of my favorite stores in town. Cactus Records (as I still call it) has consistently been voted "Houston's Best Music Store" by the Houston Press.

This is not your average chain music store. The variety of music and the depth of selection that they offer is really impressive. They feature local bands and musicians heavily and have a great deal of cds by Texas musicians. Whatever you are looking for there is a good chance they may have it. They also now have a nice online store.

After browsing through the seemingly complete catalogue of Emmylou Harris and Townes Van Zandt I ended up with a nice used copy of Spinning Around the Sun by Jimmie Dale Gilmore.

Cactus has been around for years. It actually evolved out of an old record store called "Daily's" which was originally in the Heights. You can check out some of the old photographs from artist appearances at "Daily's", including Hank Williams, that are now displayed on the walls at Cactus. You can read more about the founder of "Daily's" here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home