.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sidehill Gougers

The other night I was able to catch the Sidehill Gougers performing over at Anderson Fair.

The concert was also supposed to have been a cd release party. The band has recorded a new EP of seven songs. Unfortunately...like every other supposed cd release party I’ve ever been to...the cds had not arrived yet in time for the show.

It should be available any day now. You can check the band’s page at LoneStarMusic.com for their available recordings.

The opening act was a young (make that real young) duo named the dedringers. I thought these two guys played a pretty good set over all. I especially enjoyed their version of Black Jack Mama by Townes Van Zandt. The original version can be found on the In the Beginning cd which features some of Townes' earliest recordings.

Unfortunately, I was only able to stay for the first set by the Sidehill Gougers but it alone was worth the price of admission. They did a couple of songs from their new EP as well as their first cd Runaway Scrape. They even managed to include the Townes Van Zandt song If I Needed You in their set. They also played Gram Parson’s Return of the Grievous Angel by request.

It was also my first visit to Anderson Fair which is a pretty cool place. It has quite a history in Houston. It has been operating since the 1960’s I believe. They have a lot of great pictures on the walls from all the various performers who have played there down through the decades. They even had an old sign that was still up indicating that “Hippies should use the back stage entrance.”

And they also carry Anchor Steam beer...which is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home