.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

stoneposts

reports and thoughts on legal issues, music, Orthodox Christianity and/or whatever else strikes my interest

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

My name is David Stone. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a 30-something single white male. I am an Orthodox Christian and am a member of an English-language parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR).

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Audrey Auld Mezera


"Audrey is one of the most honest original artists I know." - Fred Eaglesmith

Last night I went to see Audrey Auld Mezera in concert at the Mucky Duck. Audrey was joined on stage by Andrew Hardin.

Audrey is originally from Tasmania but now lives in Nashville.

I had seen her once before at the Duck (when she opened for Fred Eaglesmith) and was impressed with her singing. It was nice to hear a full two-set show from her this time.

She now has several cds in her catalogue of recordings. Audrey's music is often marked by its simplicity, directness and honesty. She writes songs that are both emotionally powerful as well as humorous and witty.

In this concert, she and Andrew played mostly her own songs with a few well-chosen covers mixed in as well. Some of the highlights included: "Last Seen in Gainesville", "Down in a Hole", "Self-Help Helped Me", a rambunctious cover of Ernest Tubb's "Drivin' Nails In My Coffin", "40", the exquisite new song "Bread and Roses" which she wrote for a performance she gave for the inmates of San Quentin Prison (this song can be heard on her myspace page), a powerful version of Fred Eaglesmith's "Alcohol and Pills", "I'd Leave Me Too", "Losing Faith", "Drinking Problem", "Love You Like The Earth", "Jelly Roll", "Ball and Chain", "Tree", "Nashville #1" and a cover of Slim Dusty's Australian hit "Pub With No Beer".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home